Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced
Improving the issue with ABR?
Posted by mzomaya46 
Improving the issue with ABR?
November 28, 2017 04:19PM
Traditional Adaptive Bitrate seems to hinder a lot of what is streamed online. It works in the place of holding the video no matter the connection but drops in quality happen vs the stream completely freezing to rebuffer.

Is there any plan set in play right now to improve or even get rid of the need for ABR?
Re: Improving the issue with ABR?
December 05, 2017 02:13PM
Personally I feel that until there's more government support in strengthening and improving the global internet architecture, in order to support the drastically increasing amount of traffic, that there will always be a need for ABR. I know that the (new?) codec HEVC or H.265 is supposed to drastically improve the efficiency and quality of streams which should prevent further freezing and/or buffering.
Re: Improving the issue with ABR?
December 05, 2017 06:58PM
allendaniel685 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Personally I feel that until there's more
> government support in strengthening and improving
> the global internet architecture, in order to
> support the drastically increasing amount of
> traffic, that there will always be a need for ABR.
> I know that the (new?) codec HEVC or H.265 is
> supposed to drastically improve the efficiency and
> quality of streams which should prevent further
> freezing and/or buffering.

When will this new codec start being used?

I am really hoping to see good changes in the next few years. Most people in the US and other parts of the world hold a lot of what they do over the internet be it work, communication or the obvious - Entertainment. If the buffering/freezing issues lessen, I can see more and more people doing away with cable all together.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login