Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced
Will the Net Neutrality Repeal effect streaming services?
Posted by mzomaya46 
Will the Net Neutrality Repeal effect streaming services?
November 30, 2017 02:50PM
With all this talk on Net Neutrality is has me worrying it can effect streaming entirely. Since they will be controlling usage or be "allowed" to do so, they can punish streaming services that they don't own. Some cable and IPS corps own their own streaming services. What do you think?
Re: Will the Net Neutrality Repeal effect streaming services?
December 05, 2017 12:01PM
Net Neutrality is currently a very hot topic and could potentially drastically change the streaming landscape as we know it. Repealing Net Neutrality policies which the FCC is currently working to do, could see the start to discrimination against lawful content. This means, if net neutrality is repealed, T-Mobile whose partnered with Netflix could to prevent their customers from watching content on DirecTV Now, AT&T's streaming service, and other smaller streaming services. At it's most extreme, the end of net neutrality could see a significant shift in industry power/ market share leaving the end viewer trapped/restricted with a fewer streaming options and possibly higher prices.
Re: Will the Net Neutrality Repeal effect streaming services?
December 05, 2017 06:00PM
admin Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Net Neutrality is currently a very hot topic and
> could potentially drastically change the streaming
> landscape as we know it. Repealing Net Neutrality
> policies which the FCC is currently working to do,
> could see the start to discrimination against
> lawful content. This means, if net neutrality is
> repealed, T-Mobile whose partnered with Netflix
> could to prevent their customers from watching
> content on DirecTV Now, AT&T's streaming service,
> and other smaller streaming services. At it's most
> extreme, the end of net neutrality could see a
> significant shift in industry power/ market share
> leaving the end viewer trapped/restricted with a
> fewer streaming options and possibly higher
> prices.

I didn't even consider that. I know there are less than 10 major names/business that essentially own all the other ones so I can see this being an issue. I read today that it was pushed back. I am not sure if that is good news or not. I feel like if they do away with it, we will be the ones getting screwed in the long run because streaming services will be forced to pay more, thus charging us more to cover the costs.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login